1. Locations: You may choose to paint anywhere in or around Morro Bay. We have provided a map of several areas that are considered to be good painting sites, with ample parking and nearby restrooms. See Area Map
2. CHECK-IN will be from 8-10am, Monday -Friday September 20th -24th. Please let us know approximately where you will be painting so that we can place the information on our website.
3. SET-UP – Artists may choose their sites and begin painting anytime after they check in. Painting will be for 4 days (Monday – Thursday) between the hours of 8am – 5pm and Friday between 8am – Noon.
4. Professional Category artists will be allowed to paint 3 canvases and turn in the best 2 for sale. Artists retain 75% of the sales price. You may submit up to 2 pieces of finished artwork for Live Auction and one additional quick draw piece. The Live auction will take place at Tidelands Park on Saturday at an Outdoor Art Party. You may place a reserve on your paintings. Artists must be 18 years or older to receive cash prizes.
5. Non-Professional Category artists will be allowed to paint 3 canvases and turn in the best 2 for sale at the Silent Auction. You may not place a reserve on your painting. Artists retain 75% of the sales price. Silent Auction will take place inside the Art Center Morro Bay on Sunday September 26th.
6. The monetary transaction for each artwork sold will be handled by Event Staff. California sales tax of 7.75% will be added to the price of each painting that sells and will be collected by Art Center Morro Bay. A 25% commission will be retained on any artwork sold as a result of this event at Art Center Morro Bay. Any artists who sells his/her artwork outside of the competition to avoid paying the required commission will be banned from future events. Artists will be paid in the following month.
7. For ease of handling, each painting must be FRAMED & WIRED prior to exhibiting and judging. Only canvas, canvas board, paper or other flat substrates will be allowed. All substrates must be framed or the edges fully covered with paint. Festival Stamps must be visible on all works, including works on paper.
8. All finished paintings done during the week; whether Professional Category or Non-Professional Category, must be delivered to Art Center Morro Bay by Saturday, September 25th from 10am – 1pm. Only stamped canvases/substrates/paper will be accepted.
9. The competition will be judged by TBD. Prize money will be awarded prior to the live auctions on Saturday, September 25th at approximately 7pm.
10. AWARDS PROFESSIONAL CATEGORY: Cash awards will be given in the Professional Category for First, Second, Third, (2) Honorable Mention, and Crowd Favorite.
11. AWARDS NON-PROFESSIONAL CATEGORY: Non-Professional category artists will be awarded ribbons for First, Second, Third and (2) Honorable Mention.
1. The location of the Quick Draw Competition is the State Park Boardwalk and Marina – 10 State Park Rd, Morro Bay, CA (See painting suggestions tab pictures of the area). You may paint anywhere within the area which affords many different subject views.
Please check-in between 12:30 – 1:45pm on Saturday September 25th. We will have a table at the State Park Boardwalk and Marina.
2. You must be pre-registered for the Quick Draw Competition.
3. Artists will have 3 hours to paint, from 2-5pm. If a registered artist is late in arriving with their pre-stamped canvas, they may paint and will forfeit their lost time and all artists must stop painting promptly at 5pm; ready to frame their artwork.
4. All artists will STOP painting at 5pm and deliver their framed, wet artwork to Tidelands Park. All art will be hung for preview prior to live auction. A 25% commission will be retained by Art Center Morro Bay. Artists will be paid 75% of auctioned price during the following week. Artists must be 18 years or older to receive cash prizes.
5. Only canvases, canvas board, paper or other flat substrates will be allowed. All substrates must be framed or the edges fully covered with paint. Event Stamps must be visible on all works, including works on paper.
6. The Quick Draw judge will be TBD.