1. Locations: You may choose to paint anywhere in or around Morro Bay. We have provided a map of several areas that are considered to be good plein air sites, with ample parking and nearby restrooms. See Area Map Tab.
2. CHECK-IN will be from 8-10am, Monday -Thursday August 9 – 12th. Please let us know approximately where you will be painting so that we can place the information on our website.
3. SET-UP – Artists may choose their sites and begin painting anytime after they check in. Painting will be for 4 days between the hours of 8am & 5pm..
4. Professional Category will be allowed to paint 3 canvases and turn in the best 2 for sale. Artists retain 75% of the sales price. You may submit up to 2 pieces of finished artwork for Live Auction. The Live auction will take place at the Art Center Morro Bay on Saturday at the culminating Art Party. You may place a reserve on your paintings. Artists must be 18 years or older to receive cash prizes.
5. Amateur Category will be allowed to paint 3 canvases and turn in the best 2 for sale at the Silent Auction. You may not place a reserve on your painting. Silent Auction will take place inside the Art Center Morro Bay on Sunday.
6. The monetary transaction for each artwork sold will be handled by Event Staff. California sales tax of 7.75% will be added to the price of each painting that sells and will be collected by Art Center Morro Bay. A 25% commission will be retained on any artwork sold as a result of this event at Art Center Morro Bay. Any artists who sells his/her artwork outside of the competition to avoid paying the required commission will be banned from future events. Artists will be paid in the following month.
7. For ease of handling, each painting must be FRAMED & WIRED prior to exhibiting and judging. Only canvas, canvas board, paper or other flat substrates will be allowed. All substrates must be framed or the edges fully covered with paint. Festival Stamps must be visible on all works, including works on paper.
8. All finished paintings done during the week; whether Professional Category or Amateur Category, must be delivered to Art Center Morro Bay on Friday, August 13th from 10am – 1pm. Only stamped canvases/substrates/paper will be accepted.
9. The competition will be judged by TBD. Ribbons and prize money will be awarded prior to the auctions on Saturday, August 14th at approximately 7pm.
10. AWARDS PROFESSIONAL CATEGORY: $2,550 will be awarded in the professional category: ; $1200. to First Place, $600 to Second Place, $300. to Third Place & $150. to (2) Honorable Mention, and $150 to Crowd Favorite. The Festival will conclude on Sunday August 15 with a silent auction of Amateur Category artwork sold at the gallery.
11. AWARDS AMATEUR CATEGORY: Amateur category artists will be awarded ribbons for First, Second, Third and (2) Honorable Mention.
1. The location of the Quick Draw Competition is the State Park Boardwalk and Marina – 10 State Park Rd, Morro Bay, CA (See map for location and pictures of the area). You may paint anywhere within the area which affords many different subject matter.
Please check-in between 12:30 – 1:45pm on Saturday August 14th. We will have a table at the State Park Boardwalk and Marina.
2. You must be pre-registered for the Quick Draw Competition.
3. Artists will have 3 hours to paint, from 2-5pm. If a registered artist is late in arriving with their pre-stamped canvas, they may paint and will forfeit their lost time and all artists must stop painting promptly at 5pm; ready to frame their artwork.
4. All artists will STOP painting at 5pm and deliver their framed, wet artwork to Art Center Morro Bay. All art will be hung for preview prior to live auction at Art Center Morro Bay. A 25% commission will be retained by Art Center Morro Bay. Artists will be paid 75% of auctioned price during the following week. Artists must be 18 years or older to receive cash prizes.
5. Only canvases, canvas board, paper or other flat substrates will be allowed. All substrates must be framed or the edges fully covered with paint. Event Stamps must be visible on all works, including works on paper.
6. The Quick Draw judge will be TBD. Ribbons and prize money will be awarded just prior to live auction, at approximately 7:00pm.